[OSM-talk] advertising

paul youlten paul.youlten at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 00:28:52 BST 2007

Hi,

I think that what Steve is doing with pay-per-click advertising with Mappam
is great - I look forward to the time when we have thousands of osm maps
embedded in Yellowikis so that users can click on a category page map (i.e.
"cycle shops in Paris", or "internet cafes in Baghdad") and see a map
covered with markers showing shop locations. Even better will be knowing
that when users click on a marker it will link them to a website or another
Yellowikis page with more information - all done with "pay per click" -
everyone wins (except the traditional yellow pages companies and maybe
Google - what a shame!).

I love it... it might be a little crude at the moment but if we can help
Steve get it to work and work really well, it might generate enough revenue
to allow OSM to finance making free street maps and enable Yellowikis to
publish free business directories - not just in rich countries; where tiny
logo on a map is the only thing some people have to worry about.... but in
poor countries where not having easy access to accurate geographic and
business information stunts local economic development and holds back the
opportunity for people to improve their quality of life.

Long live Mappam! May a hundred thousand mini-markers bloom!

Paul Y

On 7/2/07, Andreas Putzo <lists at putzo.net> wrote:

> On Jul 02, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > OSM is a community, and besides lots of fun with fine people it has
> > > one
> > > concrete outcome: a map. This is what we produce, and it is displayed
> > > right away to every of our website visitors.
> >
> > If I interpret 80n's posting correctly, then www.openstreetmap.org
> > ist not our (the project's) web site, but the foundation's web site.
> > The foundation is not the project but an entity founded to support
> > the project, without a claim to be the only such entity.
> >
> > Thus, www.openstreetmap.org reflects what the foundation thinks will
> > benefit the project; it is fully at the foundation's discretion to
> > put any kind of ads there or whatever they think helps them further
> > their chartered purpose (which is probably more or less the same as
> > the goals of the project).
> >
> > If you are a foundation member, and you have a different opinion on
> > what benefits the project, then you can work on the opinion-forming
> > process inside the foundation, with the possible outcome of making
> > changes to the foundation's web site.
> >
> > If you're not a foundation member, then this is of no relevance for
> > you; since you are contributing to the project and not the
> > foundation, www.openstreetmap.org doesn't concern you. It is just one
> > of a number of supporting web sites - maybe one with a cooler domain
> > name and/or more users, but nothing keeps the project community from
> > opening any number of such web sites outside of the foundation's
> > influence.
> >
> > Complaining, as a non-member, about the contents of
> > www.openstreetmap.org, is then as if you were complaining about my
> > openstreetmap web page or someone's geodata blog or whatever.
> >
> > That is what I distilled from 80n's post. There are, of course, some
> > problems with this approach - the foundation web site at
> > www.openstreetmap.org also hosts crucial parts of the project
> > infrastructure, namely the API and central database, but these cannot
> > simply be replaced by someone else's. But if you manage to make the
> > distinction in your head and think of www.openstreetmap.org not as
> > "our" but as "their" web site, then it suddenly becomes less
> > important what's on there, doesn't it?
> >
> > Bye
> > Frederik
>
> I void interpreting it that way because it does not make sense at all.
>
> rgds
> Andreas

Tel: +44(0) 7814 517 807