[OSM-talk] advertising

Matthew Newton matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 00:55:09 BST 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 12:28:52AM +0100, paul youlten wrote:
> I think that what Steve is doing with pay-per-click advertising with Mappam
> is great - I look forward to the time when we have thousands of osm maps

> I love it... it might be a little crude at the moment but if we can help
> Steve get it to work and work really well, it might generate enough revenue
> to allow OSM to finance making free street maps and enable Yellowikis to

Agreed - it doesn't seem to show in Firefox, so I wondered what on earth
all the problem was. Finding a copy of IE and looking then made me wonder what
the fuss really is about. This seems like a great way of utilising the
map to also bring in additional income.

Yes, the implementation needs a bit of tweaking (i.e. don't display at the
higher zoom levels, clicking on the symbol is a bit hard, etc) but as an
idea I think it works well.

--
Matthew