[OSM-talk] OSM on Mobile Phones (and beyond!)

Lachlan Rogers lachlan at rogers.name
Tue Jul 3 05:06:34 BST 2007

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 23:04:12 +0100
tim <chippy2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In preparation for my talk at SOTM on "OSM on Your Phone", I'd like to
> know if you've come across, used, or have thoughts on Openstreetmap
> with mobile phones.
>
> Show of hands, ideas, thoughts, experiences and hacks, recording
> tracks, displaying maps on common Java enabled phones,
> embedded/bluetooth GPS, on newer smart phones, whatever!

I own a SonyEricsson K608i and have recently experimented with ways to view OSM data on my phone.  I require offline usage (budgetary restrictions), and have tried GPSMid and TrekBuddy.
*TrekBuddy uses osmarender tiles from the tiles at home project, and thus gives really pretty maps.  The problem is that they cannot be searched or zoomed.
*GPSMid has fairly poor rendering (as far as beauty is concerned), but enables you to zoom the map in and out and also (in the latest version which I couldn't get to work) lets you search the map.
Both of these applications are designed to work with bluetooth GPS receivers.

> For example, in addition to collecting gpx traces and displaying
> rendered maps, I could have osm data editing on-the-fly as I walk down
> the road. Also, I'm thinking it would be great to be able to tell if,
> when I'm on a street/area, if that street/area has already been mapped
> via text.....

This would be absolutely fantastic!