[OSM-talk] advertising, Money: for which purpose and how much?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Jul 3 15:25:19 BST 2007

In message <8835C489-4C2C-4DBA-8FA3-8ED789458D2A at remote.org>
        Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

>> Let me ask you, and more generally, the community, what would
>> people like to see money being spent on (both large and small
>> items) that would most help the project?
>
> I would love to see a second database server which replicates data
> from the #1 database server (only "current" tables) and serves all
> read requests from there. Only write requests should go to the #1
> database server. I hope that this will considerably increase
> performance and enable us to allow larger bounding boxes and more
> elements for downloading. The whole thing could also be the first
> step to wider replication.

I believe that the web server, and the general horribleness of
rails and libxml2 for this particular task, are just as much of
a bottleneck here as the database, if not more.

Is MySQL replication "real time" enough for this by the way? In
other words if I do a download from a slave is what I get going
to be good enough to base an upload to the master on?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/