[OSM-talk] advertising, Money: for which purpose and how much?

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Tue Jul 3 17:24:41 BST 2007

Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <8835C489-4C2C-4DBA-8FA3-8ED789458D2A at remote.org>
>         Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>

>>> Let me ask you, and more generally, the community, what would
>>> people like to see money being spent on (both large and small
>>> items) that would most help the project?
>>>
>> I would love to see a second database server which replicates data
>> from the #1 database server (only "current" tables) and serves all
>> read requests from there. Only write requests should go to the #1
>> database server. I hope that this will considerably increase
>> performance and enable us to allow larger bounding boxes and more
>> elements for downloading. The whole thing could also be the first
>> step to wider replication.
>>

> I believe that the web server, and the general horribleness of
> rails and libxml2 for this particular task, are just as much of
> a bottleneck here as the database, if not more.
>
> Is MySQL replication "real time" enough for this by the way? In
> other words if I do a download from a slave is what I get going
> to be good enough to base an upload to the master on?

This is what I was wondering...  the only way would be to set up
replication and see how quick it is. However I suspect that "editors"
may need direct access to the "Master" mysql database?

One idea that I have never heard mentioned and something that I had been
thinking about is to geographically partition the database between
different mysql servers? The frontend API could be smart enough to know
what database to "talk" to for the request issued, in my mind the main
problem here would be trying to decide what happens if a segment (and
way) end up crossing a server boundary.... Although I'm not sure if this
actually help, most of the problems seem to be in the European Evening
time so I suspect that for this to be effective Europe would need to be
split into several chunks...

Cheers
Chris

--