[OSM-talk] advertising

Stefan Baebler stefan.baebler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 19:19:14 BST 2007

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Stefan Baebler <stefan.baebler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, keep the integrity of the shown maps by moving the ads off of it!
> Huh? Do you think that a newspaper only has integrity only if it runs
> without ads. Do you think public broadcasters (eg the BBC) lose
> integrity by running ads?

Ok, let's dissect the newspaper analogy a bit:

Imagine an article (eg. about smoking, either hazards like cancer,
second hand, youth, or benefits if any, or just plain statistics ...
whatever).

Having a related full page (eg. smoking promotion or magic pills to free
you from addiction) ad on the next or even facing page is somehow
tolerable. It is clear that it just helps to keep the paper's  price
down for the price of a few trees. You just flip to next page.

Having such ad placed on the same page with the article would be silly
at least, questionable at most, but you can *choose* to read or ignore it.

However, having small ad(s) placed inline with the article text pushes
the article's credibility trough the earth's core.

I admit, smoking example was extremely easy target, but you could apply
this into any field with slightly related topics (politic commentary vs.
pre-election campaign ads, real-estate frauds vs. mortgage ads, internet
popularity stats vs. ISP ads...). Same in broadcasting.

Stefan