[OSM-talk] advertising

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Tue Jul 3 17:00:51 BST 2007

"Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog at gmail.com> writes:

> Integrity is related to how you behave, not to the presence or
> otherwise of ads. We've had ads for ages, I really don't see how these
> are any different (except for the fact they're almost completely
> useless). Integrity comes about by being honest. Stick a notice about
> how you need the money from the advertisements and list the ways to
> get rid of them (I can think of at least three ways).

I think his point was that an ad needs to be clearly identifyable as
an ad by the user.  If ads were blended in on the screen with other
OSM data that would not be the case.  I can not tell myself how mappam
ads are in this respect as I have not seen one, yet.

I actually just tried to look at the ads but did not get to see
one. Instead I get "no referrer found" messages. I don't even get a
mappam layer.

I would also vote to have the ads in a clearly marked section of the
page.  They can be linked to the map or have a "Show on map" button.

Matthias