[OSM-talk] AND donate entire street network of Netherlands to OSM

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 20:34:35 BST 2007

On 7/4/07, Immanuel Scholz <imi at eigenheimstrasse.de> wrote:
> Really, I try not to be skeptical, but what do they have from "making
> their map available" (hope this is read as in "releasing the stuff under
> CC-By-SA, not something crippled like the Yahoo affair?)

It was suggested on IRC that it may have to do with:
1. AND is not the biggest provider on NL.
2. The NL govt was opening up the road maps within 2 years anyway.
(This was well known, the delay was so companies like these
(teleatlas) had a chance to change business. AND has now
short-circuited this and hopefully caught their competitors off
guard).

In other words, the value of the NL road network to them was already
not very large. Maintaining it costs money and there's no long terms
gains to be made. This way they generate good will, relieve themselves
of a maintainence burden and hopefully get a head start on data for
other countries where it's not so easy.

It's all guesswork though.

I'm waiting for the fine-print.

Have a nice day,