[OSM-talk] AND donate entire street network of Netherlands to OSM

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 21:32:10 BST 2007

On 7/4/07, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/07, Immanuel Scholz <imi at eigenheimstrasse.de> wrote:
> > Really, I try not to be skeptical, but what do they have from "making
> > their map available" (hope this is read as in "releasing the stuff under
> > CC-By-SA, not something crippled like the Yahoo affair?)
>
> It was suggested on IRC that it may have to do with:
> 1. AND is not the biggest provider on NL.
> 2. The NL govt was opening up the road maps within 2 years anyway.
> (This was well known, the delay was so companies like these
> (teleatlas) had a chance to change business. AND has now
> short-circuited this and hopefully caught their competitors off
> guard).

Don't overlook another factor:

3. The Dutch OpenStreetMap team were going to have the Netherlands completed
even before the Dutch government opened their data.

You guys may well have been a significant factor in precipitating this.  AND
wouldn't have done it anyway if there was no prospect of a community out
there that would care for and look after the data.

And just look at it from Digital Pioneer's perspective for a moment - they
provided €12,000 of funding and three months later they have creative
commons mapping data for the whole country.  What an awsome result!

In other words, the value of the NL road network to them was already