[OSM-talk] AND donate entire street network of Netherlands to OSM

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Thu Jul 5 01:07:19 BST 2007

On 4 Jul 2007, at 20:34, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On 7/4/07, Immanuel Scholz <imi at eigenheimstrasse.de> wrote:
>> Really, I try not to be skeptical, but what do they have from "making
>> their map available" (hope this is read as in "releasing the stuff
>> under
>> CC-By-SA, not something crippled like the Yahoo affair?)
>
> It was suggested on IRC that it may have to do with:
> 1. AND is not the biggest provider on NL.
> 2. The NL govt was opening up the road maps within 2 years anyway.
> (This was well known, the delay was so companies like these
> (teleatlas) had a chance to change business. AND has now
> short-circuited this and hopefully caught their competitors off
> guard).
>
> In other words, the value of the NL road network to them was already
> not very large. Maintaining it costs money and there's no long terms
> gains to be made. This way they generate good will, relieve themselves
> of a maintainence burden and hopefully get a head start on data for
> other countries where it's not so easy.
>
> It's all guesswork though.
>
> I'm waiting for the fine-print.

If people like you weren't such fuckwits, people like me would work
harder on OSM.

I mean honestly, why would anyone pour their heart and soul in to
things like this if this is the response you get?

Why don't you sad, deprived, negative people try and push something
original and new forward rather than crapping all over something that
you don't have the will or imagination to do?

You dumb fucks, if anyone listened to you we'd just phone up AND and
tell them we don't even want their help. Please just fuck off.

have fun,