[OSM-talk] Code of Conduct was: AND donate entire street network of Netherlands to OSM

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 01:22:53 BST 2007

n 7/4/07, Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> On 4 Jul 2007, at 20:34, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> > On 7/4/07, Immanuel Scholz <imi at eigenheimstrasse.de> wrote:
> >> Really, I try not to be skeptical, but what do they have from "making
> >> their map available" (hope this is read as in "releasing the stuff
> >> under
> >> CC-By-SA, not something crippled like the Yahoo affair?)
> >
> > It was suggested on IRC that it may have to do with:
> > 1. AND is not the biggest provider on NL.
> > 2. The NL govt was opening up the road maps within 2 years anyway.
> > (This was well known, the delay was so companies like these
> > (teleatlas) had a chance to change business. AND has now
> > short-circuited this and hopefully caught their competitors off
> > guard).
> >
> > In other words, the value of the NL road network to them was already
> > not very large. Maintaining it costs money and there's no long terms
> > gains to be made. This way they generate good will, relieve themselves
> > of a maintainence burden and hopefully get a head start on data for
> > other countries where it's not so easy.
> >
> > It's all guesswork though.
> >
> > I'm waiting for the fine-print.
>
> If people like you weren't such fuckwits, people like me would work
> harder on OSM.
>
> I mean honestly, why would anyone pour their heart and soul in to
> things like this if this is the response you get?
>
> Why don't you sad, deprived, negative people try and push something
> original and new forward rather than crapping all over something that
> you don't have the will or imagination to do?
>
> You dumb fucks, if anyone listened to you we'd just phone up AND and
> tell them we don't even want their help. Please just fuck off.
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC | steve at asklater.com | http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Steve,

That response was completely unacceptable. It is responses like this
that keep people away from contributing. Communities which manage to
stay civil grow much faster, those that don't have serious issues. You
only need to look at Debian and Gentoo for examples.

Expressing an opinion and minor concern about the fine print of an
agreement before it has been publicly announced is perfectly natural
and does not deserve such a strong reaction.

Corey

Corey