[OSM-talk] Code of Conduct was: AND donate entire street network of Netherlands to OSM

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Thu Jul 5 02:05:42 BST 2007

On 5 Jul 2007, at 01:22, Corey Burger wrote:
> That response was completely unacceptable. It is responses like this
> that keep people away from contributing.

While I agree that I was rude, and I apologise for snapping at
Martijn specifically, I don't know what else you want. Would you like
me to be polite? I'll re-phrase.

I think it's unfailingly negative backward-looking people who
critique everything who hold stuff back. I basically don't think you,
or they, have a clue about the effort required to do these things and
I'm tired of your sit-on-the-fence critique.

Put my reaction aside for a second, and just think about this:

Imagine someone reading the list who's thinking about putting some
number of man-months in to convincing their boss or company to
release data to OSM. What would they think about the ton of shit you
get?

All they get at work is pain, and all they're going to get from this
list is why they're wrong, why they shouldn't do it, why they should
have done it months ago, why they should wait, why the data model is
wrong, why we need to wait for the 'fine-print', why we can't work
with them... They'll get a few people saying it's cool, which is
great but that's not the majority at all. What would be the point in
even contemplating engaging with OSM? They should just go home and
forget it.

have fun,