[OSM-talk] AND donate entire street network of Netherlands toOSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 5 09:43:05 BST 2007

Hi,

> Deals like the one with AND take positive marketing, time and
> enthusiasm
> from those involved and the building of trust.

Right, and while I assume that a lot of time has been spent getting
the AND people to trust us, our trusting AND is taken for granted.
That's the major problem here, and we had the very same with Mikel's
work with Yahoo: There's a long process leading up to an agreement,
and the community is only told the second that a deal is struck:
"This is good news, believe us, it is GOOD". (Sometimes news is out
on other websites before the community is told, even.)

This is anything but building trust.

Add to this that Steve is, most of all, not a programmer or a leader
but a good marketing guy. He has an excellent capacity to sell ideas,
to clad them in words that the receivers are likely to swallow. This
has helped the project a lot when applied to the outside, but I feel
it hurts when applied to the community. Think of his announcement
that we'll have Mappam ads ("I helped create Mappam... currently only
UK... Mappam not taking a cut") - all were true, but the full truth
was that Steve was a director (not only helped creating it), that the
whole world followed shortly after (while it was true that at the
time of announcing it, it was only the UK), and that Mappam was not
taking a cut *in the fist month*, with further details not yet worked
out. All that was left out to make the message easier to digest.

So it is only natural for us to ask: What has been left out in the
AND "press release"? And let's be honest, we the community, that is
the people who do the 90% of work that Steve doesn't do himself ;-),
have not had more than the very same press release that went out to
the world. We aren't insiders in this process. We are outsiders, and
treated as such.

> So let's cut through the crap and get back to the business of
> making our
> cool map data even cooler, because right now all of the geodata
> community
> worldwide is watching with interest at OSM's rapid rise in status.
> There is
> absolutely no reason at all to think that the project will be
> anything other
> than a huge long term success. So I suggest everyone tightens their
> seatbelts, the next couple of years and more is likely going to be
> a very
> fast and at times bumpy ride.

Admit it, you're a marketing guy as well. I feel like hearing a
"Herbalife" presentation. We are cool, yay! And now let's all stand
up and sing!

Damn it, where's Lars with his icy cynicism when you need him.

Bye
Frederik