[OSM-talk] AND donate entire street network of Netherlands toOSM

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 09:05:56 BST 2007

It's nice to see the posts returning to some semblance of normality ;-)

While I don't condone Steve's language I can understand the complete
frustration he feels when the response to hard work and really great news is
neutral or negative.

Deals like the one with AND take positive marketing, time and enthusiasm
from those involved and the building of trust. Not all of these are fully in
place when the deal is struck and so they need nurturing. New partnerships
with OSM need time to develop fully, time for both sides to understand how
they can work together for the common good. AND have offered a huge boost to
OSM, not just because of the data they bring but because of the message it
sends out to the wider community, to those who are thinking about getting
involved and supporting the project, and by that I mean both new individuals
as well as organisations and commercial companies. It's a sign that OSM is
very successful and going places and everyone involved in the project, from
coder to contributor, can take credit for that.

The initial agreement with AND sees OSM obtaining data not just for the
Netherlands but India and China too.  For India and China it's just the
major road networks but just think about what benefit a basic road network
in China will be in terms of helping local people there to start filling out
the mapping. If AND can do this then maybe others will, maybe we can get
some basic road networks for developing countries to give them a head start.
After all it's the places on this planet where communities simply don't have
accessible digital mapping of any sort where OSM can really help and prove
its real worth.

So let's cut through the crap and get back to the business of making our
cool map data even cooler, because right now all of the geodata community
worldwide is watching with interest at OSM's rapid rise in status. There is
absolutely no reason at all to think that the project will be anything other
than a huge long term success. So I suggest everyone tightens their
seatbelts, the next couple of years and more is likely going to be a very
fast and at times bumpy ride.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk

these
>		> (teleatlas) had a chance to change business. AND has now
>		> short-circuited this and hopefully caught their
competitors
>off
>		> guard).
>		>
>		> In other words, the value of the NL road network to them
was
>already
>		> not very large. Maintaining it costs money and there's no
>long terms
>		> gains to be made. This way they generate good will,
relieve
>themselves
>		> of a maintainence burden and hopefully get a head start on
>data for
>		> other countries where it's not so easy.
>		>
>		> It's all guesswork though.
>		>
>		> I'm waiting for the fine-print.
>
>		If people like you weren't such fuckwits, people like me
would
>work
>		harder on OSM.
>
>		I mean honestly, why would anyone pour their heart and soul
in
>		things like this if this is the response you get?
>
>		Why don't you sad, deprived, negative people try and push
>something
>		original and new forward rather than crapping all over
>something that
>		you don't have the will or imagination to do?
>
>		You dumb fucks, if anyone listened to you we'd just phone up
>AND and
>		tell them we don't even want their help. Please just fuck
off.

>	Hi,
>
>	I read the mail from kleptog as being a discussion on the reasons
AND