[OSM-talk] OSM Foundation

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Thu Jul 5 15:51:20 BST 2007

Nick Black wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Yes, you are correct - an AGM is coming up.  Etienne briefly mentioned
> holding an AGM in London on the 11th August, before the 3rd
> Anniversary party, that way people who want to attend the AGM and the
> 3rd anniversary party don't have to make two trips.

Sounds fair enough.

Is it worth having the meeting "online" so that people who can't make it
to London can contribute?

> Another suggestion that someone at some point made to me (no idea who)
> was that we should hold nominations and voting before the AGM.  The
> community needs to decide what (if any) additional officers we need
> and how we can address some of the challenges we are facing at the
> moment.  I'll kick off:
>
> 1) A membership secretery - to take care of registering new OSMF
> members, letting people know who members are, etc.
>
> 2) A representative from some of the non-English language groups.  I
> propose this to try and counter the feelings of dis-enfranchisement
> and dis-engangement from OSMF that some people outside of the UK feel.
>
> 3) A Press Officer - to take care of general press enquiries regarding
> OSM and OSMF, including some promotional work.

A few suggestions/ idea's, What we may want to do is to vote on
additional officers. Once these officers are voted in, the actual jobs
could be divided up amongst themselves, this way we get the best people
rather that voting on people for specific jobs . At this point I
wouldn't have though more that 5 people would be needed?

Do we need a separate membership and "general secretary"?
> I think that Etienne should remain as Treasurer - and I would propose
> that unless someone wants to stand against him, we don't bother voting
> on the issue.  I think we also need to decide if we need a General
> Secretery at all.  If we do, I think their role should involve
> communicating the workings of OSMF to the general OSM community.

I would be happy with this.

Other points:

  * I would like to see some kind of Statement of Intent proposed to
define the what and how of the foundation.
   * I would like to see some more formal rules on
voting/elections/meetings etc.

I will put up some pages on the Wiki if others agree that this is a good
idea?

Cheers
Chris