[OSM-talk] advertising

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:05:51 BST 2007

On 7/6/07, David <thewinch at gmail.com> wrote:

> If there are enough people that don't like the ads perhaps we could
> pool funds and donate enough money to replace the funds the ads are
> expected to generate. Surely with an alternative source for the money
> the ads would be removed.

I can see where you (and others) are coming from with this, but if you
step back it's a bit of a daft way to run things. Currently we should
be searching for *any* way to raise money, so if we were getting £1000
from the adverts (unlikely!), and could scrape together £1000 from
contributions, it would be nice to have £2000 to spend. Also, assuming
that the grand from contributors was only because we didn't like the
adverts, then maybe OSMF should get into habit of pissing people off
as a good way of raising money? :-)

The ads should stand or fall on their own. And we should try to
fundraise irrespective of whether there are ads or not. It's daft to
link them together.

Cheers,
Andy