[OSM-talk] talk Digest, Vol 35, Issue 47

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:44:01 BST 2007

On 7/6/07, Doru-Julian Bugariu <j.bugariu at wad.org> wrote:
> talk-request at openstreetmap.org schrieb:
>
> >> Sorry Nick, I'm getting confused here - how do I deselect the ads now?
> >
> > This is nothing to do with OSMF - its the Mappam javascript.  Frederik
> > knows that, but he wants you to think its the perverse, gold-digging
> > capitalist scoundrels abusing his idealogically superior view of how
> > OSM should look.
>
> First:
> WTF?!? Everybody has the right to express his oppinion!

Sure, but we shouldn't necesserily act on someone's opinion.

This *is* a
> community project not China! Although I have respect for the work you
> guys did, you're not the only persons who spend time and money for this
> project.

I never claimed that I was.

I agree, if you weren't there, OSM would not exist,

I don't agree with that.  OSM would get on fine without me (at managed
for three years).

but, on the
> other side, if we weren't here OSM would not exist anymore!
>
> Second: I dindn't understand Frederik in that way that he demonized ads
> or earning money with OSM data. He just said, that ads, as they are
> visible on openstreetmap.org and (more important) *how* they were put
> there, are not OK for the project. In that points I have to agree with him.

My point is, one more time, that for someone whose opinion carries a
lot of weight to suggest that OSMF is in bed with Mappam to the extent
that they (OSMF) would block the ability of OSM users to block Mappam
ads, is an abuse of power.

> If OSM needs money put the amount and the intended use on the donations
> page in the wiki, or the main page, so everybody could see it.

Also one more time, this isn't about the money any more.  Its about
people shouting loudly about things they personally object to beign
able to change the course of the project.

> Sorry for my harsh words, but I'm kinda pissed off about the people here
> behaving like in kindergarten (including me of course).

So lead by example.

> Bye,
> Banny

Nick Black