[OSM-talk] does OSM currently really need more Money?

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:37:18 BST 2007

Don't overlook the fact that our current servers didn't perform very well
earlier this week when there was a bit of extra traffic caused by publicity
from the AND deal.

Also don't overlook the fact that the project is growing very rapidly (today
we reached 1000 different users editing in one month:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/stats/data_stats.html).  We will also have road
data for 41% of the planet's population that needs to be loaded up
(Netherlands, China, India and TIGER data for the US and I've heard rumours
about other countries).

Right now the servers are coping with normal load.  But in just two or three
months time they might be looking seriously underpowered.

We can wait until then, or we can plan for then.

The OSMF is there to provide funds when the community decides there is a
need for something.  I recently asked for suggestions and got a couple of
need?

80n