[OSM-talk] map features - waterway: Some clarification?!?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Fri Jul 6 23:24:37 BST 2007

Hi!

First of all, I've already changed the sequence of the tags in the map
features waterways section
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features#Waterway, as being
lock_gate the first and river below the middle simply made no sense IMHO.

As english not being my native language, I have some hard time
understanding some of the items in the map features of waterway (I've
tried to translate the wording, but didn't found a bullet proof
translation), so if someone could shed some light upon

- what's the "usual" distinction between a river and a stream? This must
not be an absolute measurement, but please give a "feeling" for someone
not familiar with these terms
- is the lock_gate a thing to raise/lower the water level for vessels,
often found in canals?
- is the water_point e.g. a place to get fresh water e.g. for caravans?
- is the waste_disposal e.g. a place to release used water e.g. for
caravans?
- is the turning_point a place to turn the direction for commercial
vessels? where is this used usually?

Could someone please shed some light on this, or even better just add
the information to the wiki page?

Regards, ULFL