[OSM-talk] map features - waterway: Some clarification?!?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 00:00:38 BST 2007

On 7/6/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:

If I was out for a walk, and had to cross a stream, I would get my
feet wet if I couldn't simply jump across it. A river would be big
enough to make me think about finding a bridge. It might be shallow
enough to get across in a few steps, but if so it would be a few paces
wide.

> - is the lock_gate a thing to raise/lower the water level for vessels,
> often found in canals?
> - is the water_point e.g. a place to get fresh water e.g. for caravans?
> - is the waste_disposal e.g. a place to release used water e.g. for
> caravans?
> - is the turning_point a place to turn the direction for commercial
> vessels? where is this used usually?

Yes to all. The turning point is used where the boats are longer than
the canal is wide.

Maybe we should illustrate these on the wiki with pictures instead of words?

Andy