[OSM-talk] historic=monument - is photo ok?

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Sat Jul 7 16:09:41 BST 2007

On 07/07/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> As someone already started it for the highway topic, I've added example
> and photo columns for all topics of the map features page - IMHO after
> being filled with examples and photos, most of the newbie questions will
> be answered much more easily that way.
>

> While I had a nice photo of a cemetery, I got in doubt with
> historic=monument.
>
> Please have a look at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:CIMG4191.JPG - ok, next
> time when I'll upload a photo I'll find a better name.
>
> Is this what the monument tag should be used for, or is this tag only
> meant for very large things, like the Brandenburger Tor in Berlin?
>
> If it's only for large things, do we need another tag, like
> historic=memorial or such for smaller ones like this?

I don't know what the original intention of historic=monument was...
could be very generic.

That picture you have I'd definitely classify as a memorial rather
than a monument. I'd interpret it to mean more like random statues etc
that most cities and towns in Europe have scattered all over the
place.

I'm thinking nelson's column [1], the Monument in the City of London
[2], or the statue of Boudica [3].

I can't see a specific tag for war memorials though, so monument might
be the closest at the moment. I think it may be worth creating a new
tag proposal.

Dave

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson%27s_column
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_Great_Fire_of_London