[OSM-talk] Wikipedia Integration

Yann yann.hamon at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 18:33:47 BST 2007

Hello list :)

There was a lot of talk during the two last week about the value of
advertisement on the map, as it may provide the map with "additional
valuable information". I don't think commercial data can be considered as
objective and relevant for our needs (which is my opinion, and I've taken
into consideration that not everyone shared it).

But I think there are other ways of providing the map with additional
valuable informations. I suppose you have all heard about wikipedia. Several
pages on wikipedia now provides geographical informations. Now think about
it: i am looking at the map, with a high level of zoom, at, let's say, the
Eiffel tower, which is on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower , with its coordinates given on
the top right hand corner of the page.

As we indicate churches on our map, it could be indicated as, well, a small
icon saying "Historical Monument". Now imagine there a small hint on that
icon (a small magnifying glass on the bottom right hand corner of the icon,
for example) which tells you, you can actually click on it. And you click on
it, and a small popup appears, with the title "Eiffel tower", the default
wikipedia picture, and the description of the picture. And if you click on
the picture, you go to wikipedia's article.

Actually something like that even already exists; it is called
http://www.placeopedia.com/ - but I don't like the implementation. These
informations should only appear at a high level of zoom, and use the default
icons (like the default church icon) with a small magnifying glass on it...

Hard to implement? I think mappam's code would be just perfect... We would
just need a basic script, which takes the name of wikipedia's page, and put
the 2-3 informations we need(url of the picture, coordinates, and one line
description) and puts it into the database.

I would even try to implement it if other people like the idea, and if I can
reuse some code of mappam... And, yeah, I think it's a great idea, of
course, it's mine 8-)
So, what do *you* think?

Yann