[OSM-talk] Wikipedia Integration

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sun Jul 8 19:52:03 BST 2007

Yann wrote:
> As we indicate churches on our map, it could be indicated as, well, a
> small icon saying "Historical Monument". Now imagine there a small hint
> on that icon (a small magnifying glass on the bottom right hand corner
> of the icon, for example) which tells you, you can actually click on it.
> And you click on it, and a small popup appears, with the title "Eiffel
> tower", the default wikipedia picture, and the description of the
> picture. And if you click on the picture, you go to wikipedia's article.

I think having links to external information can be useful in certain
cases, like a URL to wikipedia or some other place that is relevant.
Preferably to a URL that is expected to be available for a long time.
But I object to adding nontrivial information itself (or a picture in
this case) to openstreetmap. After all it's supposed to be a map, not an
encyclopedia or photo gallery. One should also keep in mind that having
URLs in the map database makes it even more enticing to spammers to abuse.

   Tapio