[OSM-talk] Wikipedia Integration

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Mon Jul 9 12:02:45 BST 2007

Hi,

> Maybe I missed some examples ;) Concerning spam and links to URLs,
> that's not exactly what I had in mind. Let's take my Eiffel Tower
> example again. I think it is a valuable data for openstreetmap, so I
> want to add it.

another approach was reverse geocoding. A map server that displays POIs
can offer a link for the POI. Instead of hardcoding the URL into our
data, it can send the geocoords to another server and ask it for
resources.

Advantages:
* The map server can ask the geocoordinate server for i18n'ed resources,
according to the browser's lang settings
* We do not need to enter all the URLs
* We do not need to maintain the URLs
* Maybe the map server can decide which domains are trustworthy
* We avoid spamming

Example:
http://www.geonames.org/export/wikipedia-webservice.html

Just my two cents,