[OSM-talk] Wikipedia Integration

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Mon Jul 9 11:19:44 BST 2007

Yann wrote:
> Maybe I missed some examples ;) Concerning spam and links to URLs,
> that's not exactly what I had in mind. Let's take my Eiffel Tower
> example again. I think it is a valuable data for openstreetmap, so I
> want to add it. Once logged in, I go to a special page with only one
> input: the name of the wikipedia page, here "Eiffel_Tower". The data
> gets retrieved by a script on the server, and automatically adds the
> small icon on Paris at the right place - with or without a photo when
> you click on it. I like the idea of a thumbnail , though :P

But why create that tight binding between the our data and Wikipedia?

As I said you don't need to add Wikipedia to Google's dataset to display
articles overlayed on a Google map.

What happens if we decide there's another resource that it'd be nice to
link to - embed that in the mapping too?

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten