[OSM-talk] I've removed segments from the map features wiki page

Håkon Enger hakon.enger at fys.uio.no
Mon Jul 9 15:19:58 BST 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Matthias Julius wrote:

> How do you ideally deal with those kind of things?  Currently the way
> to go is to split it up each time something changes.  When rendered it
> doesn't look pretty and editing it becomes a nightmare.

Two possibilities for a new paradigm of tagging: (Not actually
suggestions, just meant as food for thought)

1. Forget about ways, tag only segments! JOSM easily lets you apply a tag
to any number of segments, and using the "select straight line" tool makes
it easy to select all or a part of a road to tag. In my opinion, this
would be just as easy as the current way we are doing things, and the
problem for the renderer is of the same magnitude.

2. Create overlapping ways. For instance, create one way for the whole
street with the name "Main Street" with the tag "name=Main Street" and
then create other ways on top of this where the street is one way, has a
particular speed limit, etc. This is somewhat hard with JOSM currently,
since one must use the dreaded ctrl key to select one of a number of
overlapping ways, and it's not really possible to see that they are there.
However, it feels more "logical" that one street (name) corresponds to one
way.

Of course, we could also allow segment tagging (again) for things like one
way, speed limits, etc. This would be a sort of combination of the two
above approaches.

   Håkon