[OSM-talk] I've removed segments from the map features wiki page

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Jul 9 15:00:41 BST 2007

Nicola Ranaldo <ranaldo at unina.it> writes:

> On Monday 09 July 2007 14:58:49 Tom Chance wrote:
>> Ahoy,
>>
>> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:39:48 +0200, Nicola Ranaldo <ranaldo at unina.it> wrote:
>> > Sorry if i repeat an old question.
>> > If i have a way with the last few segments tagged as one_way=yes, how may
>> > i reproduce this scenario without segments tagging?
>>
>> Split the way into two smaller ways, and tag the one way part
>> appropriately. JOSM has a "split way" function, download the latest version
>> if you can't see it.
>
> Ok, but how renderers, editors and other softwares may recombine them?

Unfortunately, they don't.  That is the problem that superways or
advanced relationships are supposed to solve.

> Suppose i have a very long motorways, i may split them in a big number of ways
> to tag the varying number of lanes.

... and bridges, tunnels, speed limits, whatever ...

> It could be difficult to add a tag to the entire set of ways if
> software does not have a topological reference to them.  It could be
> a problem to show names and refs too or to evaluate the lenght of a
> way and so on.  Just some considerations.

This is not trivial.  There could be any number of parts of that
highway that are partially overlapping that require different
tagging. Like you have a certain speed limit, then the number of lanes
change, then there is a bridge, then another speed limit, then it
becomes oneway, then there is a tunnel in the middle of which there is
an exit and the number of lanes change again...

How do you ideally deal with those kind of things?  Currently the way
to go is to split it up each time something changes.  When rendered it
doesn't look pretty and editing it becomes a nightmare.

I need to take a look at GDF...

Matthias