[OSM-talk] map features: shop items look strange and supermarket should also be moved here?!?

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Jul 11 08:10:21 BST 2007

At 11:06 PM 10/07/2007, Ulf Lamping wrote:
>Andy Allan schrieb:
>> On 7/10/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> The map features topic "shop"
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features#Shop looks at least
>>> a bit strange.
>>>
>>> bakers -> bakery (probably this was confused by butcher's shop?)
>>> butchers -> the only one that's really ok :-)
>>> candle_stick_makers -> ?!? is this a joke or spam or is this serious?
>>> Just delete it?
>>
>> They are from a nursery rhyme (children's song)
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub-a-dub-dub. Often they are used as a
>> joke to illustrate that a list has become overly long - which I think
>> might have been the intention here.
>>
>Hmmm, I might be a bit humourless, but partly putting a nursery rhyme
>into a reference page is not my kind of humour ;-)
>
>Anyway, so I'll change the shop topic into:
>
>bakery
>butchers (is this the common term then?)
>supermarket

I suggest using butcher rather than butchers in any example and then systematically keep to the singular rather than plural.  This will cut down on confusion on what tag to put.  English, at least UK English, unfortunately allows both to be used pretty much interchangeably for traditional shop types:  I am going to the butcher(s) grocer(s) greengrocer(s) fishmonger(s).  [And in the spirit of keeping things simple, it might be better to use words like fish rather than fishmonger which may not be widely understood outside the UK.]

Mike