[OSM-talk] map features: shop items look strange andsupermarket should also be moved here?!?

Luka Frelih luka at ljudmila.org
Wed Jul 11 12:52:57 BST 2007

>> similarly obscure words are natural=fell and natural=heath which
>> hardly any non-saxons grok
> I don't know if there are better words to be use instead.
neither do i, but maybe there are some more general words that would be
appropriate for these and similar features.
>> - or landuse=allotments which could be simply landuse=gardens.
>>
> No. A garden is something different from an allotment.
an allotment is a garden. in the vegetables sense, not the park
(versailles) sense. could be landuse=gardening. hmm, still confusing.
landuse=salat+kartoffel ? ;)
>> of course landuse=retail is not as bad as created_by= which should
>> obviously be "created with". thats just wrong. would any of the tool
>> authors dare to fix this?
>>
>> i am also wondering if we are really mapping drainage basins
>> anywhere? landuse=basin or i may be confused by the link to the
>> dictionary there.
>>
>> also i noticed that keys and values insist on using underscore _ in
>> place of a space. any good reason for that?
>>
>> just IMHO 2 shells, but i think simplicity and clarity of tagging
>> actually matters in our project. as does inertia but it seems to
>> mostly work against us...
>>
> Luka, while or your points are valuable, PLEASE keep in the subject -
> to avoid splitting discussion into religious thoughts and current
> politics ;-)))
point taken. i put them in as tangential comments to tagging issues, not
wanting to troll. mainly i wanted to support the shop key. if anyone
wants to debate those other points specifically, they might want to use
a new subject in reply.

LF