[OSM-talk] [Talk-GB] NCN refs - consistency

Wed Jul 11 11:47:32 BST 2007

David Earl wrote:

> There's a problem with the same way being used by multiple routes in
> general, and how to link up with their identifiers. The route tag
> doesn't really work - has been commented on several times on this list.
> I wonder if we should try to clear that up rather than just address NCN.
>
> [details of proposal snipped]

It's a smart idea. But I wonder if it's a bit too 'meta', a bit too
newbie-hostile. It makes a whole load of sense to me, but would
require a bit of explaining to someone coming to OSM for the first
time - and our learning curve is steep enough already.

Would it be possible to combine the two into one tag?

   cycle_route=NCN51;National Byway
   bus_route=20;20A

And in the occasion of an unnamed one:

   cycle_route=yes

It does mean you have to infer the 'type' from both the key and the
value (i.e. NCN51 -> it's an NCN route). But it seems a good
compromise to me.

Of course, Andy may be proposing to blow all this out the water with
STAGS at SOTM. :)

cheers
Richard