[OSM-talk] [Talk-GB] NCN refs - consistency

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 04:50:25 BST 2007

On 7/11/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> It's a smart idea. But I wonder if it's a bit too 'meta', a bit too
> newbie-hostile. It makes a whole load of sense to me, but would
> require a bit of explaining to someone coming to OSM for the first
> time - and our learning curve is steep enough already.
>
> Would it be possible to combine the two into one tag?
>
>    cycle_route=NCN51;National Byway
>    bus_route=20;20A

I think the biggest problem with this method is that it provides no
mechanism to provide additional information about the route. The
earlier suggestion has the benefit that any additional information
tags can easily be slotted in.

As for editting difficulty, I think that once we have decided on how
it should look we can teach editors to make it as easy as we like.

Have a nice day,