[OSM-talk] map features: shop items look strange andsupermarket should also be moved here?!?

Luka Frelih luka at ljudmila.org
Wed Jul 11 12:17:59 BST 2007

shop key is also better than retail because:
    - it is much more widely understood and used by non-native speakers !
    - it is two characters shorter ;)

similarly obscure words are natural=fell and natural=heath which hardly
any non-saxons grok - or landuse=allotments which could be simply
landuse=gardens.

of course landuse=retail is not as bad as created_by= which should
obviously be "created with". thats just wrong. would any of the tool
authors dare to fix this?

i am also wondering if we are really mapping drainage basins anywhere?
landuse=basin or i may be confused by the link to the dictionary there.

also i noticed that keys and values insist on using underscore _ in
place of a space. any good reason for that?

just IMHO 2 shells, but i think simplicity and clarity of tagging
actually matters in our project. as does inertia but it seems to mostly
work against us...

LF