[OSM-talk] no replay-to header at talk

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed Jul 11 14:31:56 BST 2007

Dirk-Lüder Kreie wrote:

> What they expect is solely a matter of education. I for one would not
> expect the reply to go back to the list if I hit "reply".

And I don't expect to send a message to Dirk-Lüder, Ulf Lamping,
talk at openstreetmap.org, and nntp:gmane.com.gis.openstreetmap (and a
growing list of cc's duplicating the entire mailing list as people reply
in a thread) when replying to this post which was on the list. (which is
the effect of "reply to all").  Yes, I could use "reply to list" or
"reply to newsgroup" but let me tell you, those big "reply" buttons are
a lot easier to hit than buried menu options.  Perhaps it would be
better if Thunderbird defaulted to "reply to list"/"reply to newsgroup"
when viewing a list or newsgroup post.  But it doesn't, and I expect
many would object strongly to that as well.

Also, I find the constant duplicate messages in my inbox from OSM-talk
to be somewhat annoying. This is a hazard of using "reply to all"

Someone wanting to send a private message should not be using the reply
feature on a mailing list message, so if they send to a list that's
their fault.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm in favor of munging the reply-to header.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"