[OSM-talk] Private roads

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 12 13:02:13 BST 2007

Hi,

> One option would be not to render private roads at all, so a user
> can be
> presented with a map of routes they know they can go along (useful
> in the
> countryside), though having said that, I guess they would be useful
> for
> navigation.

We had a discussion on bridleways recently which was more or less
about "do we tag the legal situation or the practical"? I believe
there will be many situations where a road is private and legally off-
limits for anyone without explicit permission, but still commonly
used by walkers. We will have to find ways to cope with that.

I'm strongly against leaving out features just because you need a
special key, or permit, or whatever to get there. That's because I
often look at maps just out of interest - not because I want to go
there, just because I want to know what's there.

Bye
Frederik