[OSM-talk] Private roads

Barnett, Phillip Phillip.Barnett at itn.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 11:48:06 BST 2007

Hold on a moment!

 At least in Britain, 'private road' does NOT imply access=private - it ONLY means that maintainance of the road has not been taken up by the local authority, and that it is therefore the duty of the landowners adjacent to it to maintain the road. It is still open to traffic - although people are often understandably put off using them after seeing the word 'private' on any signs. It's a common misconception.

" Private roads (also known as "unadopted roads") are different in that they don't belong to the local authority, and the local authority is not under a duty to maintain them. But a private road may nonetheless be a highway for one or more classes of traffic. A private road can become a highway through use by the public over a period of time. Private through-roads sometimes become highways in this way, though private cul-de-sacs rarely do so." http://www.privateroads.co.uk/whatarePR2.html

PHILLIP BARNETT
SERVER MANAGER

200 GRAY'S INN ROAD
LONDON