[OSM-talk] import de-duplication

Immanuel Scholz imi at eigenheimstrasse.de
Thu Jul 12 16:11:47 BST 2007

Hi,

>> Personally, I believe strongly that we should get external data in the
>> DB as soon as possible, not review it in JOSM before it is
>> uploaded. It
>> can be reviewed in Mapnik / OSMarender / Gosmore perfectly well
>> once it
>> is in the db, and fixed with JOSM, Potlatch, the applet, or any other
>> editors.
>
> Imi is currently working on mutli-layer capability for JOSM. Without
> knowing exactly what he's doing,

Well, I plan to add the possibility to download/open-file an osm source
into an own layer instead of merging it into the current layer.

Both layers will be completly seperated from each other and may contain
equal objects (which will exist twice in JOSM memory then). The edit of
one layer will never influence any other layer whatsoever.

Except, there will be the button "Merge down" enabled for data layers
which will try to merge the current selected layer into the layer
directly below it (using the same mechanism as current used to merge
newly loaded layers). Note, that this will trigger the confliction
dialog you probably have already seen in JOSM ;)

> As long as you have both layers separate, it is much
> easier to work with the data, and potentially throw out some bits
> from one and some bits from the other...

This is correct.

> the layering is lost once
> you upload the stuff, unless you manage to re-create the layers when
> downloading OSM data ("everything with source=TIGER in extra layer").

Nice idea. I will think about some "split layer" tool, which will move
all selected objects into an other layer...

Ciao, Imi.

--
DF0E A04F 7063 69C5 A76B  7557 0A77 608F 9172 3535