[OSM-talk] Yahoo approves of JOSM plugin

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 18:10:43 BST 2007

Good news from Yahoo. Last month out in SF, I had a chance to discuss the issues with Yahoo Maps API and OSM. They've reassessed the use in JOSM, and now have given it a green light.

Here's exactly what they have to say on the issue.

"On the usage of our Aerials API, again I can reiterate that
 the OSM's
usage of the free API for overlaying GPS and tracings appears to be well
within the terms of use.

To address some other questions that have been raised, we don't see any
red flags with the GPX files overlays approach that is used by OSM
community members vs. our restriction on plotting real time GPS
coordinates or points that are less than 6 hours old. And your other
question regarding the mechanics of how imagery is cached in a transient
manner by the OSM tracing app also does not violate the constraint
preventing capturing individual images for commercial purposes.  Again,
our assessment is that you're well within the terms of use.

I hope this helps address some of the concerns of the community, please
continue to let us know how we can help as things progress."