[OSM-talk] Survey: How to pay the OSM bill

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Thu Jul 12 18:52:53 BST 2007

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>> But this is exactly what people don't want to happen.  The share alike
>> component means that if you use my mapping to make your book then you
>> have to make your book available in the same way that the mapping was
>> (or possibly the maps in your book)
>>

> The maps in the book seem fine. However to have to make the whole *book*
> subject to the same licence seems rather lacking in common sense. I'd hope
> OSM would be available to small book publishers as a free source of maps.

Usual disclaimers aside...  Could the book be considered as a collective
work, words and maps. Then the maps could be SA and the author could
retain copyright over the words?

or

Do we want to increase the amount free data available in the world... in
this case perhaps the book *should* be made available under SA. Money
can still be made by selling hard copies of the book, but a pdf needs to
be downloadable :)

Cheers
Chris