[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Fri Jul 13 03:48:31 BST 2007

"Alex L. Mauer" <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:

> in particular highway=cycleway doesn't
> belong even in a legal sense, since bicycles don't have a right of way
> on those (by my understanding) -- while bridleway= and footway= do exist
> as legal rights of way

Please lets not base OSM tags on some esoteric aspects of English law.

Lets also consider the primary intended audience for cycleway mapping,
namely cyclists.

Personally, I think most cyclists would see a difference between

highway=footway
bicycle=yes
(a footpath where cycling is permitted)

and

highway=cycleway
foot=yes
(designed as a shared pathway)

and

highway=cycleway
foot=no
(a bicycle only facility)

So, I think it is important that if there is a change to the tagging system
that it preserve this kind of distinction.

Ian.