[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 04:23:22 BST 2007

On 7/12/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:
> Alex L. Mauer schrieb:
> > agreed.  it is my opinion that they should be dropped entirely and
> > changed to be generic paths with restrictions as necessary ( see
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Trail -- RFC
> > coming up right after this).  in particular highway=cycleway doesn't
> > belong even in a legal sense, since bicycles don't have a right of way
> > on those (by my understanding) -- while bridleway= and footway= do exist
> > as legal rights of way
> >
> Well, here in germany there's a dedicated cycleway - legally. It has a
> round blue circle sign with only a bicycle on it. It's only for bicycles
> and nothing else. Of course there are also mixed ways together with
> pedestrians and even parted ones: left bycicles and right pedestrians ...
> >> Probably should stay in highway, think of it as service stations at
> >> motorways, may even have a dedicated exit nr.
> >> We also have motorway_junction and probably another one shortly, so this
> >> one seems fine to me.
> >>
> > In particular I object because the services are not part of the road
> > itself,
> but the exit to the services *is* a part of the road and nothing else.
> > and because of the potential confusion with highway=service
> > (note the distinction -- I am suggesting removing the plural not the
> > singular)
> >
> Yes, I see the confusion, maybe this should be changed to
> highway=motorway_services, as I can't remember any services *not*
> related to a motorway. Any such thing on a primary or smaller road would
> be tagged by their fuel, restaurant and alike things only IMO.
>
> Maybe we first need a good more detailed description how such things on
> motorways should be tagged, before we can make a good descision here -
> I'm still unsure.

Although these services are part of the highway system, I still don't
think they fit within the highway tag, as they are amenities, used by
more than just the highway user. The fact that they are near or used
by highway users is something the next level of software can figure
out, via users when they ask for "next service station" or similar.

Corey