[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Alex L. Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Jul 13 04:51:41 BST 2007

Corey Burger wrote:

>> So, I think it is important that if there is a change to the tagging system
>> that it preserve this kind of distinction.
>>
>> Ian.
>
> I think the trail tag captures this better than trying to shoehorn it
> into the highway. If we want, we can keep a cycle route tag for the
> next level up, as cycle routes may go down trails, along roads with
> cycle lanes, etc.

Note that the tag is actually "path" (trail was a previous potential
value, and it seemed after some discussion that path was more clear.  It
could go back to trail if consensus goes the other way.  I'd reserve the
"route=path" for things not on road.  (the cycleway= tag is not entirely
adequate for this either, since it doesn't provide for a designated
bicycle route which is also a road, but where there is no lane reserved
for bicycles.)
--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.