[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Alex L. Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Jul 13 05:02:32 BST 2007

Ian Sergeant wrote:

> Please lets not base OSM tags on some esoteric aspects of English law.

My thought exactly.  In my opinion, the highway= tag should (and mostly
does) imply automotive traffic.

> Personally, I think most cyclists would see a difference between

<snip examples>

> So, I think it is important that if there is a change to the tagging system
> that it preserve this kind of distinction.

As a cyclist, I don't see a difference between highway=footway,
bicycle=yes and highway=cycleway, foot=yes.

According to the access tag documentation
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:access) yes means "The
public have official, legally-enshrined right of access i.e. it's a
right of way".  This is equivalent to "highway".

Perhaps the access tag needs a value "highway" to indicate that level of
access, with "yes" meaning it's officially allowed, but not legally
enshrined (i.e. that privilege could be taken away without changing the law)

Thus,
route=path
foot=highway
bicycle=yes
(a footway where cycling is permitted)

route=path
bicycle=yes
foot=yes
(designed as a shared pathway; both could also be "highway" if appropriate)

route=path
bicycle=yes
foot=no
(a bicycle-only route)

Would that address your concerns?  (I'm worried though about the
acceptance of the additional value for the restrictions, as "yes" is
already used to mean highway rights in many places; for most purposes it
doesn't matter of course)

-Alex Mauer "hawke"

--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.