[OSM-talk] Shop & amenities

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 13:31:25 BST 2007

On 13/07/07, Edoardo Marascalchi <edoardo at edoardomarascalchi.it> wrote:

>  I'm asking myself if cafe, pub,  restaurant and fast_food should be moved
> to Shop from amenities..

shop=pub?!

Not everything on the highstreet is a shop. I have a distinct philosophical
problem with associating pubs with shopping ;-)

Probably best described as, if I go there because I want to spend time
there, rather than because I need something, or something done:
 * pub -- I go to spend time there and drink beer with my friends -> amenity
 * barbers -- I go to get my hair cut then leave -> shop
 * clothes shop -- I go there to buy clothes then leave -> shop
 * cinema -- I go to spend a few hours watching a film -> amenity
 * restaurant -- I go to spend a few hours eating food -> amenity
 * fast food -- I go to buy some quick food, and eat it and leave ->
probably shop

It's quite a soft rule, and obviously there's some interpretation going on!