[OSM-talk] Potential problems moving/depreciating map features tags.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jul 16 09:16:34 BST 2007

Hi,

>> I think we should alter the proposal process for new features to
>> state
>> that details about rendering must be part of the proposal. So, for
>> icons an example should be included, for roads a CSS snippet.
[...]
>> This would make it easier for renderers to include new features,
>> since
>> they don't then need to make them thmselves...
>
> Yes definitely, this would make it much much easier for the people
> doing the
> rendering stuff to add new features. And this also might shorten
> the time it
> takes until new features will be rendered.

We can do that, however it must be clear that this can only ever be a
suggestion and is not binding for the people working on the
renderers. Firstly, not every renderer may even be capable of
displaying what the proposal asks for (and I doubt that when
proposing something, you really want to add Osmarender XML, and
Mapnik XML, and rules for the osm2ps renderer, and a color set for
gosmore, and...). Secondly, the people working on the renderers might
have a different view ;-)

Bye
Frederik