[OSM-talk] Speed Cameras

Chris Morley c.morley at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jul 16 13:49:20 BST 2007

Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> Stuart Cunningham wrote:
>> What's the preferred method of putting speed cameras into OSM?
>
> We could just tag a node of the road they are on with speed_camera=gatso
> or something. We have an issue because they can be in one of three
> positions on the road - on either side or in the middle.
>
> This is important if you are looking out for them for navigation "turn
> left after the speed camera" is different to "turn left opposite the
> speed camera". We have the same issues for Post Boxes, Telephone boxes
> and other small items, but arguably a speed camera is part of the road -
> like a lamp post or a road sign. Topologically it applies to a
> particular road, it's not just near it.

This is a case where a 'node with direction' is useful see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Buses for a discussion. Bus
stops, canal towpaths, and cycle lanes are other examples. I learned
this weekend that rendering such one-sided information attached to a
linear way is a still an unresolved challenge for Osmarender. But with
the talent available I'm sure won't be so for long...

Chris