[OSM-talk] Potential problems moving/depreciating map features tags.

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Jul 16 13:57:40 BST 2007

Dave <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk> writes:

> On 16/07/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, changing tags is much more work than chaning the wiki page, that's
>> for sure. But what do you mean with productive? Your own productiveness?
>> Looking at all these comments from newbies not understanding things (or
>> even worse not tagging things because of this) makes me sad. Having an
>> inconsistent tagging scheme makes it very hard to learn and remember.
>> Just because you had to learn it the hard way doesn't mean that others
>> have do so as well, ad infinitum.
>
> That's a good point, although I think tagging is such a steep learning
> curve anyway, the odd tag out of place doesn't make much difference.
> Web browsers have on-page search, so if you're looking for a
> supermarket, it isn't difficult to find.

That is only true if you know you are looking for "supermaket".  There
are many of non-native English speakers around that might not think of
the term actually used as a tag.  For that reason I think a logically
organized Map Features page is important.  Many thanks to the people
who try to improve that.

Matthias