[OSM-talk] Potential problems moving/depreciating map features tags.

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 14:24:03 BST 2007

On 16/07/07, Matthias Julius <lists at julius-net.net> wrote:
> Dave <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk> writes:
>
> > On 16/07/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, changing tags is much more work than chaning the wiki page, that's
> >> for sure. But what do you mean with productive? Your own productiveness?
> >> Looking at all these comments from newbies not understanding things (or
> >> even worse not tagging things because of this) makes me sad. Having an
> >> inconsistent tagging scheme makes it very hard to learn and remember.
> >> Just because you had to learn it the hard way doesn't mean that others
> >> have do so as well, ad infinitum.
> >
> > That's a good point, although I think tagging is such a steep learning
> > curve anyway, the odd tag out of place doesn't make much difference.
> > Web browsers have on-page search, so if you're looking for a
> > supermarket, it isn't difficult to find.
>
> That is only true if you know you are looking for "supermaket".  There
> are many of non-native English speakers around that might not think of
> the term actually used as a tag.  For that reason I think a logically
> organized Map Features page is important.  Many thanks to the people
> who try to improve that.

Yep, logically organising the page is definitely a very productive use
of time. Doesn't mean you need to change the tag values though :-)

I was actually assuming the map features page would be available in
your language, and have a nice description in the comment space that
would contain something you were likely to search for, ie: the dutch
version says "supermarkt"

That's actually an example of the problems when you change things: the
english map features page has shop=supermarket now... the spanish
version has amenity=supermarket as does the french, german, russian,
dutch etc. In other words it's not been updated with the changes, and
I'm not surprised, and the wiki is just the very first step that
/anyone/ can edit.