[OSM-talk] Potential problems moving/depreciating map features tags.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jul 16 18:21:44 BST 2007

Hi,

>> I can change all 16,255 "highway=cycleway" tags to "fredwashere=yes"
>> within two or three hours if the API works well. It's really just a
>> few lines of code. If everyone agrees that "fredwashere=yes" is
>> better than "highway=cycleway", then it can be done quite easily. It
>> can also be done on a regular basis as long as people are still
>> adding new ways with the outdated tags.
>
> Bet I can do it even quicker ;-) Well for ways at least

I'm sure you can. In fact it would be worthwhile to have such mechanisms
tested and available in case they're needed some time. Trivially you can
just do an update query on the "current" table but I assume that if you
want to do it right you'll have to make insertions to the history
tables. Which can probably be done in SQL if you're clever.

 > nodes and segments are a bit harder.

Any plans to rectify the unusual way in which tags are stored for
segmens and ways? Or does that fall under the "simplest thing that can
possibly work" doctrine ;-)

Bye
Frederik