[OSM-talk] Potential problems moving/depreciating map features tags.

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Jul 16 19:14:53 BST 2007

Stephen Gower <socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 01:36:49PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>
>> I can change all 16,255 "highway=cycleway" tags to "fredwashere=yes"
>> within two or three hours if the API works well.
>
>   Sure.  The data is the easy bit, in some ways.  It's having to
>   change every editor (at least those with presets), every renderer,
>   and the numourous other projects based on OSM, and make sure that
>   no-one is going to use the old versions of these once the Big Bang
>   switchover has happened.  This has to be done every time such a
>   change is made.

That's why such a change shouldn't be made lightly. But, IMHO this
doesn't mean we never can change anything.

There should be a generous depreciation period and an advance notice
to everyone concerned (possibly through this list or a new
announcement list).  For simple changes (like moving a tag from one
key to another) the API could automatically convert to the new way and
include both tags in downloads to ease the transition in clients that
use the data.

Matthias