[OSM-talk] RFC: geodesy=pillar

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 20:06:29 BST 2007

Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
>Sent: 16 July 2007 6:59 PM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-talk] RFC: geodesy=pillar

>Hi there,
>
>Anybody attending SotM should have heard Steve Chilton in "Map Room 101"
>and
>me, talking about those big chunks of rock in the middle of nowhere that
>are
>used by topographers as points of reference. For those who didn't attend
>SotM, have a looky at the photos here:
>http://ervijarico.blogspot.com/2007/05/paseando-por-un-vrtice-geodsico.html
>http://alicantevivo.blogspot.com/2007/06/los-vrtices-geodsicos.html
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesy
>
>Call them triangulation pillars, call them geodetic vertices, call them how
>you like. Fact is, I'm gonna upload a few thousand of them in a couple of
>days.
>
>So, I'm proposing the following tags to be applied on nodes:
>
>geodesy = pillar
>Depicts a geodetic (or geodesic) pillar

If they are pillars then that’s fine. If a more general term is required how
about geodesy = station or survey_station

>geodesy:network = foobar
>Several pillars together form a geodetic network, which usually has a name.

This works but not sure a namespace is really required. Perhaps also
consider geodetic_network=

>geodesy:reference = 1234
>Pillars in the same network are identified by a reference number.

Same as above. Perhaps geogdetic_ref=

But anyway, it's not that critical to get it perfect. The tags can always be
mapped to other tags later (eg for a STAGS type approach). Whichever you or
I have suggested its obvious what's implied.

cheers

Andy